Friday 25 June 2010

We have a diagnosis

Hi All,

All of you that have met Jasper will know that he is a slightly noisy breather (which in medical speak is called stridor) and has what sounds like a chesty cough. Yesterday I found the answer as to why he is like this.

Jasper has whats called "laryngomalacia" or 'floppy larynx syndrome'. Bascially, he was born with a slightly deformed larynx, which effectively narrows his windpipe resulting in whistly breathing. Its a benign (harmless) condition that he will grow out of by the time he is 2yrs old when the whole throat area stiffens up with cartlidge and no longer is floppy (until then he has to sound like darth vardor). The cough is as a result of the build up of mucus at the larynx, so he must constantly clear his throat. More details here... http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-laryngomalacia.htm

On further reading I discovered that alot of babies with this condition tend to have gruff voices (due to the mucus and slight swelling from clearing the throat)
. The Paedeatrician gave him a clean bill of health (apart from the larygomalacia that is).

The only problem he might have is that he might be more heavily affected by a common cold than most other babies, and I have already found that to be the case over the past winter. Also with teething and the build up of more saliva this will cause more coughing SO hey I wasn't so wrong when I put his cough down to teething as well.

Anyway I just thought I'd update you all. Its quite amusing that such a little problem has such a big complicated name, and at least you no longer have to think I am letting him die of pneumonia everytime you see him.

If anyone reading has any stories about this condition please leave me a comment.

Love to All
Cara :-))

PS. Yes this may change my descision to move to Canada . . .might be the warm weather of the Gold Coast that wins out instead.
Jasper is having some blood tests done too so I will make a more informed decision after I get those back. xo

4 comments:

Heather said...

San Diego is a great place to live for breathing issues. Trust me, i struggle every where else but here.
Cant believe how big he is.
-h

Cazza said...

Thanks Heather, believe me if I could come to the US to live for awhile I would be there!

Too bad Canada is so cold for most of the year.

:-)

Stacey and Bernt said...

Must be a relief to have an answer to your worries, and such good news that he will grow out of it! Loved the pic of him waking up to his balloons... though he had a concerned little look on his face... maybe because he couldnt reach them to play with:) ?

lill said...

Thats great its nothing too serious and he is going to grow out of it as well. Ooh Gold coast sounds nice!